Thursday 16 October 2014

D.I.Y- Mason Jar Candle

Hey Guys, 

April here, and i may have gone mental with candles this week!
(My whole window sill may or may not be literally full of candles, much to the despair of my fighter fighting father)

Since i mentioned "twinkling Yankee candle's" in my previous post, its inspired me to try and make my own candles since its cheaper, and lets not forget, more fun. 
This is how i got on, and how to make your own...


I went online and ordered one mason jar, extra long candle wicks and a few blocks of wax, granted the wax colours weren't what i ordered, but i was too excited to giving candle making a go, that i didn't bother going through the hassle of returning it all back to amazon etc.



For this D.I.Y you will need;
  • 1x mason Jar
  • 1x extra long wick
  • 2x blocks of wax
  • A non stick, cheap ass sauce pan that you don't mind messing up, and use it to create a Bain-marie/double boiler to melt the wax (click here to learn how to make a double boiler)
  • Some sort of jug, to pore the melted wax in to the mason jar
  • Some heavy objects to balance the jar against if you want to set your wax on angles
(you may need more double boiler set ups, depending on your pattern you wish to produce and/or colours you want to use)
 [I used 2 double boiler set ups, so i could alternate the colours to make a zig-zag pattern]

(heavy objects)                                                (double boiler)

Instructions for my specific pattern;
  • Melt your first whole wax block down (10 mins to fully melt)
  • Dunk the end of the candle wick (metal bit) in to the melted wax then place in the bottom of your mason jar, give this 5 mins to set.
  • Carefully pore 1/3 of the melted wax in to your mason jar, via a jug (you need to make sure the wax sets at the same angle when using both colours, or the pattern will not look right)
  • You can now turn the cooker that's fuelling your double burner off 

(don't worry about the melted wax, it will set in the pan, but can be easily re melted when next needed)

  • You must allow plenty of time for each layer to set. I left each layer balanced between my heavy objects for half an hour then gave it a quick session in the freezer (10 mins) to make sure the layer is solid, this is so it can stand the heat of the next layer.
  • I then repeated this process 6 times over  until the jar was full to create the middle zig zag effect,.
  • Leave the full candle in the freezer for an extra half an hour to fully cool down
  • During the setting process, sometime the wax sinks in the middle, if this happens you can fill the hole up with some more melted wax, or ignore it, and once the candles been lit, and melted down a little, the problem solves its self.

 Here's a little time-lapse of the candle!

There we have it, a super cute, inexpensive alternative to a +Yankee Candle , I hope you enjoyed this D.I.Y - AND spoiler, i have something related to this for a Halloween special, stay tuned to find out ;)

Toodlepip xx


Too find more of my social media ramblings, check me out!

Twitter | Facebook | Bloglovin' | Pinterest | Tumblr | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS